Skip to Main Content

Tax and Land Information Website

print small medium large 


Farm Use Assessment

To request consideration of farm use assessment on your property for assessment and property tax purposes, you must complete and file the Application for Farm Use Assessment form.


As a property owner, you may be eligible for farm use assessment if you:

  • Are not a bona fide farmer but lease or rent clear arable land to a bona fide farmer who operates it as a farm operation where:

  • the lease or rental agreement for the land is for a minimum of three years; and

  • the total amount of land leased from the person is a minimum of ten acres of clear arable land, but excludes land approved for sub-division as residential, recreational, commercial, industrial or institutional use.


For detailed information on the criteria for granting farm use assessment, please review Section 4 of the Real Property Assessment Act.

Please note:
This page is prepared for information purposes only, and should not be considered a substitute for the applicable statutes. Should there be any conflict between the contents of this page and the statutes, the statutes shall prevail.

 Contact Information:

Telephone: (902) 368-4070

The forms listed below are also available in French on our Formulaires page.


Application for Farm Use Assessment

Service Location

Shaw Building

back to top