Skip to Main Content

Tax and Land Information Website

print small medium large 


Revenue Tax (PST) Exemption Permits

Transition to the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST)

Effective April 1, 2013, the Province of Prince Edward Island implemented the harmonized sales tax (HST).  HST replaced the provincial sales tax (PST @ 10%) and the federal goods and services tax (GST @ 5%).

Under HST, the provincial portion is nine percent (9%) and the federal portion is five percent (5%) for a combined rate of 14%.  

Please refer to the Canada Revenue Agency website for assistance with the application of HST in Prince Edward Island, or call 1-800-959-5525.

The information provided below is presented for historical reference only.


What is a Revenue Tax Exemption Permit?

Pursuant to the Revenue Tax Act Regulations, the Government of Prince Edward Island provides Revenue Tax Exemption Permits to approved aquaculturists, farmers, fishers and silviculturists. Permit holders are allowed to purchase specific goods exempt of revenue tax (PST) for use in their commercial operations.  


Who is eligible to receive a Revenue Tax Exemption Permit?

Persons (individuals, partnerships or corporations) engaged in farming, commercial fishing, aquaculture or silviculture who meet the requirements set out in the Revenue Tax Act Regulations, are eligible to receive Revenue Tax Exemption Permits.

If you are an aquaculturist, farmer, fisher or silviculturist, you can apply for a Revenue Tax Exemption Permit by using the appropriate form listed at the bottom of this page.

What goods can be purchased exempt of PST with this permit?

A listing of tax exempt goods for permit holders can be found in the following Revenue Tax Guides:

Declaration of Income for Tax Exemption Permit Applications

Applicants for the Revenue Tax Exemption Permits have the option of either supplying a Declaration of Income form, or a copy of last year’s income tax return(s), with their application for a Fuel Tax Exemption.

Refunds of PST

Revenue Tax Exemption Permit holders, who have purchased any of the goods listed in the above guides, may apply for a refund of PST paid at time of purchase, within the following time frames.

  • Goods on exemption list - application for refund must be made within four (4) years of the purchase (invoice) date of the goods.

  • Goods on refund list-goods purchased on or after April 1, 2003 are eligible for refund.

  • Part-time farmers- once part-time farmers meet the qualifications to receive a Revenue Tax Exemption Permit, they may apply for refund of PST on goods purchased while they were farming part-time. Application must be made within five (5) years of the purchase (invoice) date of the goods, within seven (7) years for purchases made by blueberry growers, or within ten (10) years for purchases made by apple and cranberry growers. Goods on the refund list are eligible for refund only if purchased after April 1, 2002.

How do I apply for a tax refund?

Permit holders can apply for a refund by completing the Request for Refund of Revenue Tax (PST) form. All original invoices, receipts and supporting documentation must be submitted with this form.

Please note:
This page is prepared for information purposes only, and should not be considered a substitute for the applicable statutes. Should there be any conflict between the contents of this page and the statutes, the statutes shall prevail.


The forms listed below are also available in French on our Formulaires page.


Application for Marked Gasoline and/or Marked Diesel Oil Permit for Aquaculturists
Application for Marked Gasoline and/or Marked Diesel Oil Permit, and Bona Fide Farm Status for Farmers
Application for Marked Gasoline and/or Marked Diesel Oil Permit for Fishers
Request for Refund of Revenue Tax (PST)

back to top